Her research interests have focussed on the application of research methods in translational health research, in the continuum space from bench to bedside to population. In particular she has contributed to the design, analysis and reporting of several studies in clinical research, epidemiology and population health in a broad spectrum of therapeutic areas including neurology, respiratory diseases, infectious diseases, addiction, hypertension, cardiology and emergency care. See key recent publications
In education, she has been lecturing for 20 years designing and delivering courses for undergraduate and postgraduate programs, short-courses and PhD programs in a broad spectrum of applications including Medical Statistics, Research Methods, Clinical Research, Industrial Statistics, Operation Research, Calculus and Engineering Mathematics.
Gloria has lead and is currently leading international groups of data scientists, which include biostatisticians, bioinformaticians, data managers, health economists and programmers, in supporting the methodological and statistical needs of health research. As Director of CSTAR (the Centre for Support and Training in Applied Research) from 2009 and 2011, she has successfully lead it in its first two years at the School of Public Health in UCD providing a broad range of statistical support to academics in UCD and other universities in Ireland.
More recently, since 2011, Gloria has established StatisticaMedica Ltd
, a consultancy company which specialises in the biostatistical and methodological areas of health research.
Through research grants, fellowships and post-graduate supervisions, nationally and internationally, Gloria has developed a strong and broad network of research collaborations. Some of her most recent collaborations include the University of North Carolina (USA), the Mathematical and Theoretical Biology Institute in Arizona State University (USA), the MontClair State University in New Jersey (USA,) the Research Triangle Institute in North Carolina (USA), the Royal College of Surgeons of Ireland and the National Children’s Research Centre in Ireland. Through some of these collaborations, programs for staff exchange between academia and industry have also been initiated.
Over the last 10 years Gloria has also contributed to raise significant amounts of funding from research awards
as PI, Co-PI and collaborator, and an equivalent amount in revenues from private contracts in the pharmaceutical, medical device, diagnostics and food industry –
• PhD (Biostatistics and Mathematical Biology), ITTDublin, Ireland, 2000
• Bachelor of Economics (Statistics and Operation Research), Bocconi University, Milan, Italy, 1995
• CStat, Royal Statistical Society, 2003
• Fellow of the Royal Statistical Society, 2003
• CMath, The Institute of Mathematics and its Applications, 2003
• MIMA (Member of the Institute of Mathematics and its Applications), 2003
1. 2016 to present: Associate Professor of Biostatistics and Director of the Biostatistics Unit at the Royal College of Surgeons of Ireland RCSI, School of Public Health, RCSI, Dublin, Ireland www.rcsi.ie
2. 2014 – to present: Adjunct Professor, the Mathematical Theoretical Biology Institute (MTBI) – Simon A. Levin Mathematical, Computational and Modeling Sciences Center (MCMSC), Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ, USA - https://mcmsc.asu.edu/
3. 2000 – 2016: Lecturer in Statistics and mathematics at the School of Science and Computing, ITT Dublin, Ireland. www.ittdublin.ie
4. 2009-2011: Director of CSTAR, the HRB Centre for Support and Training in Analysis and Research, School of Public Health, Physiotherapy and Population Science, UCD, Dublin, Ireland. www.cstar.ie.
5. 1999-2000: Senior Statistician, Department of Statistics and Data Management, ICON Clinical Research, Dublin, Ireland.
6. 1997-1999: Associate Lecturer in the Department of Mathematics and Statistics at NUI Maynooth and in the School of Science and Computing at ITTDublin, Ireland.
List of grant awards:
1. September 2014, National Advisory Committee on Drugs and Alcohol (NACDA). Prevalence of children of/living with parental substance misuse in Ireland. - (PI).
2. December 2014, Health Research Board, (HRB), Ireland. Collaboration with Prof. Richard Costello, RCSI. INCA SUN: A prospective randomised multi-centre study to optimise the management of symptomatically uncontrolled asthma. Health research Award, Definitive Intervention. - (Collaborator).
3. October 2013, National Children Research Centre (NCRC), Ireland. Collaboration with Prof. Ronan O’Sullivan, Paediatric Emergency Medicine, Our Lady’s Children Hospital Crumlin. Transcriptional Biosignatures in Undifferentiated Febrile Illness in Children. - (Co-PI)
4. September 2013, National Children Research Centre (NCRC), Ireland. Collaboration with Prof. Ronan O’Sullivan, Paediatric Emergency Medicine, Our Lady’s Children Hospital Crumlin. Genomics of Undifferentiated Febrile Illness in Children. - (Co-PI)
5. July 2012, Health Research Board (HRB), Ireland. Collaboration with Dr. Abel Wakai and Prof. Ronan O’Sullivan, Our Lady’s Children Hospital Crumlin. Feasibility Analysis of key performance indicators for emergency departments in Ireland. - (Co-PI)
6. July 2012, National Children Research Centre (NCRC), Ireland. Collaboration with Prof. Ronan O’Sullivan, Paediatric Emergency Medicine, Our Lady’s Children Hospital Crumlin. Transcriptional Biosignatures in Undifferentiated Febrile Illness in Children. - (Co-PI)
7. April 2011, National Children Research Centre (NCRC), Ireland. Collaboration with Prof. Ronan O’Sullivan, Paediatric Emergency Medicine, Our Lady’s Children Hospital Crumlin. A Randomised Trial of Single Dose Oral Dexamethasone versus Multi-Dose Prednisolone in the Treatment of Acute Exacerbations of Asthma in Children who attend the Emergency Department. - (Co-PI).
8. March 2011, European 7th Framework Programme (FP7 Health). Collaboration with Prof. Brian Lawlor, TCD, Ireland. A European multicentre double-blind placebo controlled phase III trial of nilvadipine versus placebo in mild to moderate Alzheimer’s disease - (Co-PI).
9. October 2009, UCD Strategic Research and Innovation Fund, Ireland (UCD). A statistical and research methods support service for the College of Life Sciences - (Co-PI).
10. 2004-2007 European LIFE project: Roma per Kyoto, www.romaperkyoto.org. (2004-2007) - International Advisor and Collaborator.
11. December 2007, HEA, Ireland – Strand III. Collaboration with the CMHI Research Centre at ITTDublin, Ireland. Microbial Pathogenesis: Evaluation of the interactions between Cystic Fibrosis pathogens and lung cells with a view to identifying novel therapeutic targets - (Co-PI).
12. May 2006, HEA, Ireland - Strand I, MSc grant. Role of drug treatment and altered adenine nucleotide metabolism in preventing stroke. Collaboration with Dr.D Egan of CPRD, ITTDublin, Ireland and Dr.D. McCabe, Tallaght Children Hospital, Ireland - (Co-PI).
13. September 2005, HEA, Ireland - Strand I, MSc grant. Collaboration with Prof. C. Castillo-Chavez at the Mathematics and Statistics Department of Arizona State University and the Chemometrics Department of GlaxoSmithKline, UK. Development of a mathematical tool for the in-line monitoring of a chemical process and the prediction of large scale pharmaceutical processes - (PI).
14. March 2004, Enterprise Ireland, International Collaboration Programme, 2004. Visitorship to the Biostatistics and Epidemiology Department, at Harvard School of Public Health. €3,800 (PI)
15. June 2002, The National Advisory Committee on Drugs (NACD), Ireland. Research Outcome Study in Ireland Evaluating Drug Effectiveness (ROSIE study). Collaboration with Dr. C. Comiskey (NUI Maynooth) - (Co-PI).
16. June 2001, Research and Development Seed Fund 2001, The Institute of Technology Tallaght (ITT Dublin), Ireland. The Mathematical and Statistical Analysis of Infectious Diseases - (PI).
17. June 2001, Post-graduate R&D Skills Programme in Institute of Technologies (ITT Dublin), Ireland. Collaboration with Dr. G.Colleran, School of Science, I.T.Tallaght, Analysis of the microbial contamination of street heroin in Dublin - (Co-PI).
18. June 2000, Enterprise Ireland, Post-Doctoral Scholarship. Dynamics of multiple strain meningococcal bacteria. Spread of infection and effect of vaccination - (PI).
19. February 1998, Enterprise Ireland, International Collaboration Programme 1998 (PI). Visitorship to the Biometrics Department of Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, USA. Collaborator Prof. Castillo-Chavez, Chairman of the Biometrics Department.
20. June 1997, Graduate Training Programme January 1997- May 1999 (Co-PI), the Government Operational Programme for Industrial Development by the Council of Directors of Institute of Technologies (ITT Dublin) .Educational Details:
Recent Publications, Chapters, Conference Proceedings, Research-based Reports, Policy Documents:
Mac Hale E, Sulaiman I, Holmes M, Hughes C, D’Arcy S, Taylor T, Rapcan V, Seheult J, Murphy D, Flynn D, Lane SJ, Abilash S, Crispino G, Diette G, Fitzgerald M, Killane I, Reilly RB, Costello RW (2015). A protocol for a randomised clinical trial of the effect of providing feedback on inhaler technique and adherence from an electronic device in poorly controlled severe asthma patients. BMJ Open, Accepted for publication in October 2015.
Sheridan-Pereira, MI; Murphy, J; Sloan, J; Crispino, G; Leahy, A; Corcoran, J D; Dempsey, E; Elnazir B; Gavin, P; Sharif, F; Gul, R; Satas, S; Murphy, J; Gormally, S; Shanaa, I; Waldron, D; Mc Mahon, P; Carson, J; Blanken, M; Bont, L; Paes, B. (2015) Syncytial Virus Preterm (32-36 Completed Weeks Gestation) Risk Estimation Measure for RSV Hospitalization in Ireland: A Prospective. The Paediatric Infectious Disease Journal, January 2016, Published-ahead-of-print, Abstract, September 2015 http://journals.lww.com/pidj/Abstract/publishahead/Respiratory_Syncytial_Virus_Preterm__32_36.97603.aspx
J Cronin, S McCoy, U Kennedy, S Nic an Fhailí, A Wakai, J Hayden, G Crispino, M Barrett, S Walsh, R O’Sullivan (2015). A Randomized Trial of Single-Dose Oral Dexamethasone Versus Multidose Prednisolone for Acute Exacerbations of Asthma in Children Who Attend the Emergency Department. Annals of Emergency Medicine 2015; 44(15). doi:10.1016/j.annemergmed.2015.08.001
G Crispino et al (2015). Prevalence of children with parents that use drug and/or alcohol on Ireland. National Prevalence Study of Children in Ireland - commissioned to StatisticaMedica by the National Advisory Committee in Drugs and Alcohol (NACDA). Final report submitted to the NACDA in October 2015.
A Murphy, S McCoy , K O'Reilly, E Fogarty, J Dietz , G Crispino, A Wakai, R O'Sullivan (2015). A Prevalence and Management Study of Acute Pain in Children Attending Emergency Departments by Ambulance. Prehospital Emergency Care. Published online: 29 May 2015
Brenner M, Hilliard C, Peel G, Crispino G, Geraghty R, O’Callaghan G (2014). Management of Pediatric Skin-Graft Donor Sites: A Randomized Controlled Trial of Three Wound Care Products. Journal of Burn Care & Research. Post Copyedit: September 2, 2014.
Jansen N Seheult, P O'Connell, Kee Chun Tee, T Bholah, H Al Bannai, I Sulaiman, E MacHale, S D'Arcy, MS Holmes, D Bergin, E Reeves, RB Reilly, G Crispino-O'Connell, C Ehrhardt, A Healy, RW Costello (2014). The Acoustic Features of Inhalation can be Used to Quantify Aerosol Delivery from a Diskus™ Dry Powder Inhaler. Pharmaceutical Research 05/2014.
Chapter in the following book: Curtis E and Drennan J (2013) Issues and Methods for Quantitative Health Research: Theory and Application. Open University Press, McGraw-Hill Education. Chapter Title: Sampling Issues in Health Research, Chapter’s Author: Gloria Crispino. Published August 2013.
S C McCoy, A Wakai, M J Barrett, A Murphy, C Blackburn, M Brenner, P Larkin, G Crispino-O'Connell, S Ratnapalan and R O'Sullivan(2013) . Structured Sedation Programmes in the Emergency Department, hospital and other acute settings: Protocol for a Systematic Review of effect and events. Systematic Reviews, 2013,2:89.
D'Arcy S, Rapcan V, Gali A, Burke N, O'Connell GC, Robertson IH, Reilly RB. (2013). A study into the automation of cognitive assessment tasks for delivery via the telephone: lessons for developing remote monitoring applications for the elderly. Technol Health Care. 2013;21(4):387-96. doi: 10.3233/THC-130740.
Martin S Holmes, Jansen N Seheult, Colm Geraghty, Shona D'Arcy, Ultan O'Brien, Gloria Crispino O'Connell, Richard W Costello and Richard B Reilly (2013). A method of estimating inspiratory flow rate and volume from an inhaler using acoustic measurements. Physiological Measurements, Vol 34, Number 8, published July 2013.
P.J. Kelly, G Crispino, O Sheehan, L Kelly, M Marnane, A Merwick, N Hannon, D Ní Chróinín, E Callaly, D Harris, G Horgan, E B. Williams, J Duggan, L Kyne, P McCormack, E Dolan, D Williams, J Moroney, C Kelleher, and L Daly (2012). Incidence, Event Rates, and Early Outcome of Stroke in Dublin, Ireland: The North Dublin Population Stroke Study. Stroke, 2012, 43:2042-2047,
J Cronin, U Kennedy, S McCoy, S Nic an Fhaili, G Crispino-O'Connell, A Wakai, S Walsh and R O'Sullivan (2012). Single Dose Oral Dexamethasone versus Multi-Dose Prednisolone in the Treatment of Acute Exacerbations of Asthma in Children Who Attend the Emergency Department: Study Protocol for a Randomised Controlled Trial. Trials, 2012 Aug 21;13(1):141.
J Cronin, S McCoy, S Nally, U Kennedy, G Crispino-O'Connell, A Wakai, S Walsh, R O'Sullivan (2012). A Randomised Trial of Dexamethasone Versus Prednisolone in the Treatment of Acute Paediatric Asthma Exacerbations. Archives of Disease in Childhood. 10/2012; 97(S2):A109.
McCanny P, Crispino-O’Connell G, DiMaio R, Howe A, McEneaney D, Crawford P, Brody D, Anderson J (2012). Investigating the Strength of the Association between the Amplitude of the Impedance Cardiogram (ICG), Thrust and Depth during CPR compressions. 33rd Annual Conference of the International Society for Clinical Biostatistics (ISCB 33 – Bergen, Norway 19th-23rd August 2012).
R Di Maio, A Howe, P McCanny, C Navarro, G Crispino-O'Connell, A McIntyre, M Patton, D McEneaney, J Adgey (2012). Is the Impedance Cardiogram a Potential Indicator of Effective External Cardiac Massage in a Human Model? A Study to Establish if There is a Linear Correlation Between the Impedance Cardiogram and Depth in a Cardiac Arrest Setting. American Heart Association Resuscitation Science Symposium 2012 (November 2-4 2012, Los Angeles, USA).
R Di Maio, P Crawford, D Brody, A Howe, P McCanny, L Crawford, G Crispino-O'Connell (2012). Does Re-fibrillation occur in High Impedance Patients who have received Shocks using Biphasic Waveforms with longer Pulse Durations? American Heart Association Resuscitation Science Symposium 2012 (November 2-4 2012, Los Angeles, USA).
M Marnane, D Ni Chroinin, E Callaly, O Sheehan, A Merwick, N Hannon, G Horgan, L Kyne, J Moroney, P ME Mc Cormack, E Dolan, J Duggan, D Williams, G Crispino-O'Connell, and P J Kelly (2011). Stroke recurrence within the time-window recommended for carotid endarterectomy. Neurology. 2011 Aug 23;77(8):738-43
Blackburn C, Bennett S, Staunton P, Donnelly E, O’Donnell S, Crispino-O’Connell G, Walsh S, O’Sullivan N, O’Sullivan R (2011). Decontamination of Asthma Spacer Devices for Re-use in a Paediatric Emergency Department. Academic Emergency Medicine 2011; 18(5):S84.
Hannon N, Callaly H, Moore A, Ní Chróinín D, Sheehan O, Marnane M, Merwick A, Kyne L, Duggan J, McCormack P, Dolan E, Crispino-O’Connell G, Harris D, Horgan G, Williams D, Kelly PJ (2011). Improved late survival and disability after stroke with therapeutic anticoagulation for atrial fibrillation. A population study. Stroke. 2011 Sep; 42(9):2503-8.
Invited Speaker to the Irish Biomarker Network Conference (May 2012): Statistical Validation for Translation of Biomarkers.
Invited speaker to the Enterprise Ireland/MMI National Workshop (November 2011): Clinical Trial investigations for Medical Devices- Statistical Analysis and data Management.
Invited speaker at the 34th Annual PSI Conference (May 2011): The statistical analysis of binary protein array data to identify ovarian cancer associated biomarkers – some preliminary ideas.
Marnane M, Duggan C, Sheehan O, Merwick A, Hannon N, Curtin D, Harris D, Williams E, Horgan G, Kyne L, McCormack P, Duggan J, Moore A, Crispino-O’Connell G, Peter J Kelly (2010). Stroke Subtype classification to mechanism specific and undetermined categories by TOAST, A-S-C-O and the Causitive Classification System. Direct comparison in the North Dublin Population Stroke Study. Stroke. 2010 Aug;41(8):1579-86
O’Brien J.O., Murphy M., Grant T., O’Kane Sara, Loty, J., Crispino-O’Connell, G. and Cahill D (2011). A statistical approach and method for analysis of non-quantitative protein array data to identify ovarian cancer associated biomarkers. Abstract to the United States & Canadian Academy of Pathology Annual Meeting, February 2011, San Antonio Texas, USA.
Marnane M, Ni Chroinin D, Callaly E, Merwick A, Hannon N, Sheehan O, Harris D, Horgan G, Duggan J, Kyne L, Moroney J, Williams D, McCormack PME, Crispino-O’Connell G, Kelly PJ (2010). Very early stroke recurrence causing long-term disability is independently associated with carotid stenosis in the North Dublin Population Stroke Study. Abstract to the European Stroke Conference 2010.
Cranley F., Crispino G., Vickery J. (2006). Guidelines for the analysis of costs and benefits analysis of environmental interventions. Final report, Rome for Kyoto project. March 2006.
Crispino-O’Connell G and Vickery J. (2007). Cost and Benefit analysis of environmental interventions for the reduction of Green House Gas (GHG) emissions. A pilot study with a global approach. Proceedings of the International Conference on Climate Change, Hong Kong, 29-31 May 2007.
Martcheva, M. and Crispino-O'Connell G. (2003). The Transmission of Meningococcal Infection: a Mathematical Study. Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Application, JMAA (2003), 283, 251-275.
Cox G, Comiskey CM, Crispino-O'Connell G (2004). Research Outcome Study in Ireland Evaluating Drug Treatment Effectiveness (ROSIE Study): 24, 18 and 12 month reports. The National Advisory Committee on Drugs.
Crispino-O'Connell G, Comiskey M and Cassidy T (2003). ROSIE, research outcome study evaluating drug treatment effectiveness. A Methodological Overview. The 23rd Conference on Applied Statistics in Ireland, Abstract p19.
Colleran G, Crispino-O'Connell G and Ennis L (2002). New technologies to rapidly diagnose bacterial infections among IV drug users. The Irish Scientist 2002 Year Book.
M.D. – Argentina
Residency Pediatrics, Children's Hospital of Buenos Aires Buenos Aires, Argentina
ECFMG Number 148 993 9
Ph.D Thesis, Leiden, The Netherlands
Clinical ECMO specialist
Full Registration No: 310175 Medical Council Ireland
Specialist Registration Medical Council Ireland
Professional Work Experience Post PhD:
1982 - 1985
Director of Neonatology University Hospital, University of Maastricht, The Netherlands
Associate Professor in Pediatrics, Director of Neonatology, Department of Pediatrics, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore USA
Visiting Research Fellow Department of Physiology & Biochemistry, Reading, UK
Professor in Pediatrics, Director of Neonatology, University Hospital,University Maastricht, Maastricht, The Netherlands.
Division leader of Perinatal Medicine, later Developmental biology division within Research School Grow in University of Maastricht
Acting chairman , Department of Pediatrics, Univer¬sity Hospital, University Maastricht, the Netherlands.
Holme visiting Professor, Dept OB/GYN, Univ College London, UK
Acting chairman , Department of Pediatrics, University Hospital, University Maastricht, The Netherlands
Staff Department of Pediatrics, University of Maastricht, The Netherlands
2007 to date
Visiting Professor, Department of Physyiology, University of Cambridge, UK
2007 to date
Consultant Neonatologist National Maternity Hospital Dublin
2009 to May 2015 Director of Research National Children’s Research Centre
Fellow College of Physicians Ireland
2010 to date
Adjunt Professor of Pediatrics at UCD, Trinity College and RCSI
Publication Metrics (SCOPUS Metrics):
H-Index (SCOPUS) 31
Total Number of Peer Reviewed Primary Research Publications 159
Total Number of Peer Reviewed Primary Research Publications as First or Last Author 108
Total Number Review Articles 3
Five Most Impactful Publications (Authors, Date, Title, Journal, Volume, Pages; Journal Impact Factor; Number of Citations to date, Journal Quartile Rank for Discipline from Journal Citation Reports – available on line from library)
Blanco, C.E., Dawes, G.S., Hanson, M.A. & McCooke, H.B. 1984. The Response to Hypoxia of Arterial Chemoreceptor in Fetal Sheep and Newborn Lambs. Journal of Physiology, 351: 25 37
o Journal Impact factor: 5.037
o Citations to date: 158
o Journal Quartile Rank: Q1, 41/252
Van den Hove DL, Steinbusch HW, Scheepens A, Van de Berg WD, Kooiman LA, Boosten BJ, Prickaerts J, Blanco CE. 2006. Prenatal stress and neonatal rat brain development. Neuroscience. 137:145-55
o Journal Impact factor: 3.357
o Citations to date: 105
o Journal Quartile Rank: Q2, 95/252
Van den Hove DL, Blanco CE, Aendekerk B, Desbonnet L, Bruschettini M, Steinbusch HP, Prickaerts J, Steinbusch HW. 2005. Prenatal restraint stress and long-term affective consequences. Dev Neurosci., 27(5):313-20
o Journal Impact factor: 2.697
o Citations to date: 72
o Journal Quartile Rank: Q2, 19/41
Ruijtenbeek K, le Noble FA, Janssen GM, Kessels CG, Fazzi GE, Blanco CE, De Mey JG. 2000. Chronic hypoxia stimulates periarterial sympathetic nerve development in chicken embryo. Circulation. 102(23):2892-7
o Journal Impact factor: 14.430
o Citations to date: 69
o Journal Quartile Rank: Q1, 1/60
Bakker EC, Ghys AJ, Kester AD, Vles JS, Dubas JS, Blanco CE, Hornstra G. 2003. Long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids at birth and cognitive function at 7 y of age. Eur J Clin Nutr. 57(1):89-95
o Journal Impact factor: 2.709
o Citations to date: 68
o Journal Quartile Rank: Q2, 29/77